What Does Black Lives Matter Mean at Pratt?
Black Lives Matter is a national movement formed in response to the murder of Trayvon Martin in 2012.
“#BlackLivesMatter is a call to action and a response to the virulent anti-Black racism that permeates our society. Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes.” – Black Lives Matter, About Us
At Pratt, Black Lives Matter means addressing the systemic racism and white supremacist ideology inherent in institutions of higher learning in America. It means creating dialogues around the racial inequality within our institution, and fostering activism within our campus body. It means confronting anti-Blackness openly and honestly.
Black Lives Matter at Pratt reinforces activism as art and art as activism.
What We Do
- Encourage and educate faculty members on incorporating the #BlackLivesMatter movement into their class curriculum.
- Work with faculty members to create open class periods fostering collaboration across disciplines and exposing students to a wider range of discussions. Open class calendar coming soon.
- Facilitate Black Lives Matter Events on campus throughout the 2015-2016 academic year. Events calendar coming soon.
- Collaborate with local organizations and activists to work within the broader Brooklyn community.
- Commit to critiquing and combatting the intersections of privilege and oppression on our campus OR Hold ourselves accountable to ourselves.
Who We Are
We are a group of faculty, staff, alumni, and students working together to ensure that Black Lives Matter is an integral part of our campus culture.
How You Can Be A Part
- Show Up! Attend an event and bring friends. Send us an email to sign up for our mailing list.
- Be Vocal! Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram and use the hashtags to start discussions: #PrattInstitute #blmpratt #pratt
- Create! Submit to our blog: write a piece, share your recent work, what does Black Lives Matter at Pratt mean to you?
To get involved contact: blmpratt[at]gmail[dot]com