How can you get involved in BlackLivesMatter@Pratt? There are so many ways to become part of a movement that is at its core about social justice, human rights and recognition of the ongoing violence on black bodies, one that has a deep history in this country.
- In the Classroom: Is there a day this semester or next that you will be covering a topic in class related to race and its impact on social, political, economic, or cultural issues in the US? Or are you inviting a guest speaker who might be discussing issues of race in the US? All you would have to do is open your class up that day for some lateral teaching. Any of us (students/staff/faculty) who can come, will come to learn, talk, and demonstrate solidarity.
- Would you like to host an event? A speaker? Or would you like to speak on a topic? Would you like to organize an exhibition or put books on reserve at the libraries that are relevant to Black Lives Matter? If you are interested in doing any of these things, please contact one of our coordinators and we will be happy to help you secure funding, space, and an audience for it.
- The entire Institute will be putting together a two day event in April 2016 specifically related to BlackLivesMatter@Pratt – if you are interested in helping by being an audience member, having your class (or you) present work as posters/soundpieces/performances/readings/anything, volunteer to help organize, or volunteer the day of, please contact one of our coordinators. We welcome everyone.
- In many cases, you and your department might already be doing this related to race – if this is the case, please let us support you and bring people to your events. And we will be happy to be listed as a co-sponsor – BlackLivesMatters@Pratt – we will include all of your listings on our social media lists.
- #blmpratt OR #blacklivesmatterpratt
- @blmpratt (on Twitter and Instagram)
- As students/staff/faculty we have many lives. Maybe what you are doing in class is not directly related, but you are active in your other spheres… please consider bringing your worlds on to and into this one. Our campus will only benefit from becoming engaged with the world outside its gates. If you are interested in doing something with an outside group or individual, please contact one of our coordinators so that we can help facilitate.
Our aim is to activate campus by sharing information/knowledge, tools for civic engagement and advocacy – in public spaces, inside the classroom, libraries, residential halls and the community.
You can also sign-up for our mailing list, and propose an event or activity here: https://blacklivesmatterpratt.com/signup/
To get involved contact: blmpratt[at]gmail[dot]com